Relentless: The Book of Acts
August 19 - 25 – Week 11: God Uses the Unqualified
As we continue in week 11 of the Relentless series, we see another piece of God’s plan to transform the world through the conversion of Saul; someone who would have never been seen as someone to be used by God. But all throughout the Bible, we continue to see that God does not need you to be “qualified” to share His transformative message. He only needs us to be willing. Whatever excuses we are making, we know that God can do more than we can imagine.
God calls and uses the UNQUALIFIED to relentlessly change the world.
- Consider those you think as “qualified” for their positions; a boss, an instructor, a life guard, etc. What are some key elements that make that person “qualified?”
- Now consider those you think as “qualified” for spiritual teaching or sharing. What makes them “qualified?” As you discuss, do you think your standard of “qualified” is different than God’s?
- Read the story of Saul’s conversion in Acts 9:1-21. How would you compare God’s choice of using Saul to advance his kingdom to God using you to advance His kingdom?
- On Sunday Jeremy said “This isn’t a story about HR Jesus looking for qualified bishops to lead an organized religion…it’s about being called and willing to go.” And throughout the New Testament, it’s obvious that all followers of Christ are to be used to advance God’s kingdom. How does this make you feel?
- Think for a moment about these questions and then discuss: Where is God calling YOU to go? What is holding you back?
Next Step Challenge
All throughout history, we see that God uses who He wants when He wants. If you have been called to salvation through Jesus, you can be certain that God has called you to be His message bearers with your life and words. We must recognize that God will qualify and empower us through the Holy Spirit to carry on His message. All we need to be is willing, humble, and ready at all times to engage with what God is already doing. As you go about this week, in every moment think, “Am I willing?”
“Then the church throughout Judea, Galilee, and Samaria enjoyed a time of peace and was strengthened. Living in the fear of the Lord and encouraged by the Holy Spirit, it increased in numbers.” – Acts 9:31
Acts 1:8, Acts 9:1-31, Eph 4:28